Sunday, March 16, 2008

No, I'm not a ski bum. Kinda wish I were, though!

Okay, so the fact of the matter is that I really do love skiing. No kidding, right – the first 15 or so posts on here have been all about skiing, but realistically, it is my passion. I know that others have passions and I am careful to respect them for what they are. That said, I am not a typical ski bum and quite frankly I think it’s silly that some folks choose to make that comparison because I’ve skied so many days this year. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think there is anything wrong with being a ski bum. I couldn’t live the lifestyle that many do, but my life goals are what they are. The truth is that as long as the term has existed, people have considered ski bums to be unmotivated souls that have low paying jobs, ski everyday, and party every night. Sounds like a blast, but it’s not in the real world cards for someone like me. Now the fact that I’ve already skied 70 days this year has had some people actually criticize me and liken me to having this type of unmotivated lifestyle. No, I shouldn’t and don’t really care what these people think, but I’m curious as to why they would act this way. Is it jealousy? Does the fact that I work 50 hours a week and still ski a ton make them feel like they need to lash out? Perhaps. And while it’s only a couple people, I just think it’s a poor vibe to spread around ski country. Bobr for one, would not appreciate it. Okay, so now that is off my chest, no more skiing rants… only skiing!

No comments: