Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Gondola projects taking shape

One of the first posts I made in this here blog was about the massive Peak-to-Peak Gondola project that is currently underway at Whistler/Blackcomb, BC. I talked about a site where you could follow the progress of the construction and installation of this mammoth lift through videos, pictures, and articles - all on a Whistler site. Sadly, this site came down once ski season started and whether it reopens is unknown to me. The Gondola, being built by Dopplmayr/Garaventa, is the largest in the world in terms of tower-to tower span, distance, and maximum height above the ground.
I’ve indeed also talked about a project here at lovely Sunday River, ME where Dopplmayr/CTEC is installing the region’s first hybrid lift (aka Chondola) – gondola and 6-person chair. Okay, so the scale of this project isn’t quite the same as the Peak-to-Peak, but it’s still a fairly major installation and I’ve decided that I will attempt to create a site/blog about the project’s process. The site address is TBD and will also be contingent on approval from Sunday River so stay tuned for further details.

No comments: