Wednesday, July 2, 2008

These are the things that skiers do in the summer!


A few posts back I introduced some of you to sites called skilifts.org and a more localized site called chairlift.org. While these are only a couple of websites dedicated to ski lifts in the United States and Canada, there is a ton of really good information and history about lifts and ski areas. From my own research, I have decided that I may want to do an incremental post – say once a week, where I talk about a unique or odd lift or ski area that I’ve come across and why I find it interesting. Chances are that most of you have never seen the pictures or heard of the subjects I’ll talk about whereas some of you will know everything about them. That being said, I won’t talk about the area that a lift exactly like this lift was proposed to be built, but will say that the drawing itself is based on a lift from Custer, South Dakota. It is referenced as a “ski bus” because it is self-propelled, which is to say that while it is on a track line, it is not a jig back lift, nor does it have a haul rope pulling it up the track line. As you can see from the drawing, the engine is actually in the cabin. The only hint I will give as to where this was to be built is that it was in a valley that in home to one of America’s most famous and posh resorts and has three other ski resorts nearby. (Pretty good hint, in my opinion)

No comments: