Saturday, November 10, 2007

Rime with reason


How many times do we tell ourselves we are going to get in great shape for the next ski season? For me, it's every spring and of course at the end of the first day of the ski season while my muscles ache in places I didn't know I had muscles. Perhaps that's the problem; I didn't get in shape so I don't have the muscles. Well, having concluded day number one of what I hope to be a long and wonderful exploration of all things alpine, I am kicking myself for not doing a better job preparing.
Don't get me wrong, it was great to be back out on the hill and was pleasantly surprised at what awaiting me today, conditions wise, but after that first run I wasn't so sure many would follow, and yet they did.
I'll wait till after the weekend to give a conditions wrap-up as I think a daily report is overkill, but I will say that Sunday River put on quite a show with the annual Tin Mountain Round-up and more snow that we could even think about this time last year. Granted, it's all man made, but it's snow and snow makes me happy. And while I spent last year making turns on the first day by myself, (which I like to do quite a bit) I was fortunate to hook up with a couple of the Sunday River forum folks. While Eric and I shared a couple chairlift rides and fast turns down a well-covered T2, (see picture) I saw Martin at the base and we went to visit Steve in the Barker Pub for a Red Sox celebratory beer... and Diet Pepsi. A good time was had by all and I look forward to tomorrow and a little less pain in the legs.

No comments: